Some questions from a FluidRay noob

Hello,
I’m currently doing my first render and it absolutely looks amazing.
Some questions though :

• How do you clear an object’s material ( so that it becomes a generic model again ) ?
  • How can you see what material has been applied on an object ?
  • The reimport worked fine with fbx files, however, with Sketchup, when I update the file, it clears all materials and I have to start over. Any suggestions to resolve this ?

Currently you can’t clear the assigned material back to the imported material, we’ll add this in the upcoming release, as well as the display of the material name assigned to the object

For the SketchUp re-importing, please make sure to subdivide the scene into groups or components. FluidRay is able to preserve the assigned materials during re-import only if the mesh is not modified. If your model is made up of a unique mesh, and you modify it, the assigned materials will be lost.

Thanks again Nicola !

Some more questions ( I’m sure there’ll be more as I get more experience with FluidRay ) :

• Can you change the camera lens ? If so, how ?
  • When rendering above HD (4K and 8K ) I get a circular distortion. It is right in the center of the image, so this must be related to the camera focus. Any ideas ?
  • Are there any plans to allow output from the rendered image directly as PSD file ?
  • Is there a way to control lighting direction other than rotating and in-/declining the environment ?

Did you check the help page and the video tutorials? You’ll probably find a lot of answers to your questions there:

Especially the getting started video.

You can change the camera lens radius if you want to have depth of field, but currently you cannot change lens type. Multiple lens types support will be added in the future.

Why do you need to save directly in .psd format? There are a lot of different formats already supported.

For the lighting direction, what are you trying to achieve?

Hi Nicola,

I must admit, I’m one of those guys that starts assembling an IKEA package and read the instructions afterwards :smiley:
So I’ll check the entire video asap.
As for the lighting, I find it most useful to be able to adjust the lighting direction ( and thus the shadow cast) precisely. Right now I have to “guess” what the exact adjustment would result in. For example, in Showcase, you can point and drag the light direction or the shadow direction.

As for rendering to a PSD file, this comes in handy in some cases. It allows the environment, background and shadows to be generated as seperate layers.