Understanding Textured Materials - Leather

I am going through the standard Library leather material and I am trying to understand how editing the colour works.

If I take the standard blue or brown leather material and I look at it in the Attribute Editor, they both show me white as their colour. Am I missing something here, how can they both be white?

Blue leather in the above example.

If I try to change colour go the plastic material, both change because I assume the leather jpg is linked to both the plastic & bump map nodes. Is this essential?

The only way to get 2 different colours is to duplicate the leather node and attach each leather node separate to plastic & Bump map.

I was just trying to make a nice mahogany leather and I just cannot get the colour I want.

Thanks

Hi Randy,

In this case the leather color (brown/blue) is in the texture image. So the two materials have a texture of different color. For more flexibility, I suggest to use a black & white texture, and then adjust the color scale of the texture to get the desired result.

It is not necessary to have the same texture connected to both the bump and the reflectance, you could very well have two separate images. Here is an example (it uses a black & white texture as well):

Brown Leather.zip (1.0 MB)

Caio Nicola,

That is why I couldn’t get the correct colour. :smile:

Thanks for the texture, I will check that out.